Make authentic roast tandoori chicken the healthy way. This simple but spicy recipe is perfect for barbecues, picnics or for a mid-week dinner. The aromatic spices in yogurt sauce just smell divine, even when it’s just marinating. Warming aroma of chili, turmeric, cumin with ginger and garlic, waft through the kitchen reminding me of special days. The good thing is it doesn’t have to be a recipe only for special occasions, it’s so quick and easy that you could have it regularly.
Cooking these without any fat still makes them delicious if you’re watching your weight. The chicken keeps moist with the lemon juice, which tenderizes it and also with the yogurt coating.
I like to make extra and use it in my daughters’ chicken wraps for lunch. I’ll put up the recipe for curried chicken wraps soon.
I aim to keep my evening meal to be made up of meat and veg, However, meat and two vegs don’t have to be boring anymore! Tasty Tandoori chicken, combined here with barely pallow and sauteed peppers and tomatoes. A Yummy fusion dinner! I often have it simply with carrots and a green salad. It’s quick and easy! You can jazz it up even further with a fresh mint chutney. The combinations are endless according to your taste.
I’ve often found that extras don’t last for lunch because the man in the house gobbles down this meat fest in the middle of the night! If you are cooking for just him and you then its man friendly and waistline friendly for you! So go ahead and indulge freely and enjoy this traditional Indian recipe.
Authentic Roast Tandoori chicken
5 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- Wash the chicken score it with a sharp knife once across the thigh part and once across the fleshy part of the drumstick part. Put in a bowl.
- Add the juice of the lemon and put aside to marinate while you prepare the rest of the spice mixture.
- Add to grinder, the peeled ginger, garlic and the rest of the spices. leave the yogurt.
- Once the the mixture is ground add the yogurt. and ( optional oil)
- Pour this spice mixture over the chicken and cover and leave to marinate for half an hour in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 7
- line a tray with aluminium foil and place the chicken pieces on the tray singly and not overlapping. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Roast the chicken for 45 mins turning over half way, until the chicken is cooked through. Check by pressing with a knife to see that the juices are clear.